Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sad news and a plea.

Hey Dad,

I am sorry it's taken me a while to write.  The last thing I wrote about was trying to find public diabetes education and information events.  I did attend the Chicago ADA Diabetes Expo and collected some samples for you and got to talk to folks who do different community-based work, but I've not felt much like writing about it.  You see, just a few hours after I got home from that event, my family got the call that another one of our dads was dying and that we needed to get down to Missouri immediately.  So we packed up the car and arrived in time to sit vigil with even more family for L's last hours.  We were only home for a few days before heading back down for the memorial mass.  It's been a long couple of weeks and I'm just now trying to get back to work.

L was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over 30 years ago and had managed the disease, when he managed it, pretty well with diet and oral medications.  He wasn't a model patient--we toasted him with bourbon, after all--but he did pretty well considering the lack of resources that were available when he was diagnosed.  In fact, it wasn't until the last year that he needed insulin, which only started after he went on dialysis for kidney failure.  L had been investigating transplant options for a kidney when he developed other complications with his gall bladder.  When his recovery from gall bladder surgery became severely complicated by the dialysis, they discovered he had liver cancer.  There was less than a month between diagnosis and his passing, nowhere near enough time to process the reality of the situation before it was time to say goodbye.  L was only 67 and he will be missed dearly.  

You would have liked L and I am so sad that you never had the chance to meet.  He had a generosity of spirit and acceptance that put the people he welcomed into his life at ease and he laughed loudly and easily.  I smiled when I heard his laugh from 3 rooms away the same way I do when I hear you laugh like that.  He reminded me of you.

So, Dad, I am so grateful that you've been doing well with keeping your blood sugar in check.  Please do what you can to spare us from suffering this kind of loss again, even if it means going in for regular checkups when you feel just fine.  Just do it, please.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna do what I can to help improve access to meaningful help for people with diabetes.

I love you.

-Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment